NC Certified Nutrition Consultant
School of Drew Parisi
I haven’t written in great detail yet about my nutritionist, Drew Parisi. It’s about time, because Drew has helped me to regain control of my health in a nourishing and loving way. She has helped me understand how food affects my body, mood and well-being. Drew has a holistic mindset and believes in the power of good nutrition. Heck, she married into an Italian family and was able to convert them all into a gluten-free lifestyle. (Not easy to do!)
I appreciate that Drew focuses on the positive (even when I've eaten the whole box of Nut Thins.) She is always encouraging and celebrates even the tiniest bit of progress. Thank you, Drew, for helping to change my life and teaching me new healthy habits.
I wanted to share some of the practical things I have learned from Drew. At the end of this post are a variety of links that Drew has sent me over the last several months. (Drew told me it would be ok to share.)
As Drew would say, BLESSINGS IN HEALTH TO ALL OF YOU.
- Stick to gluten-free program for 6 months, 12 months, lifetime
- Feel good (increase energy, reduce pain & inflammation, decrease medication) and have a life
DREW'S PROGRAM RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Continue gluten free diet
- Eliminate dairy as much as possible (my body reacted poorly to dairy)
- Drink a big glass of water 1st thing in the morning. Drink water, drink water, drink water.
- Eat breakfast within the first hour of waking up
- Eat meals (or snacks) every 3-4 hours
- Eat protein at every meal and snack
- Meals = 3oz. or 21g of protein
- Snacks = 1oz. or 7g of protein
- Smoothies are a great way to add protein. Be sure to get around 21g of protein in your morning smoothie. A snack shake should include 2/3 scoop of protein powder; a meal shake should include 2 scoops.
- Good protein snacks are: hard-boiled eggs, deli meat (AppleGate Farms, Wellshire Farms), plain Greek yogurt, Cottage cheese, leftover chicken, turkey, etc.
- Go to bed earlier, get 8 hours sleep.
- Reduce/eliminate caffeine
- Develop a routine and time for exercise
- Take 300-400mg Magnesium Glycinate daily (to aid elimination)
- Analyze stool via Bristol stool scale; consider squatting stool for better elimination
- If eliminating too slowly, take magnesium glycinate.
- If eliminating too quickly, then fiber is important, meaning more vegetables!
- PMS Teleseminar led by Drew Parisi and Mia Davis, Blissful Chicks, www.blissfulchicks.com
- Great seminar about PMS and how to manage symptoms. Learned there are a whole range and variety of symptoms; every woman’s body is different and unique. (Contact Drew Parisi or Mia Davis for access.)
DREW'S TIPS & TRICKS:
- Work on dealing with emotions without food (even gluten-free foods shouldn’t be used to comfort yourself). Find other ways to care for yourself: take a walk, take a bath, read a book, have a cup of tea, paint your nails, etc…
- Coffeemate Hazelnut Creamer has a lot of sugar. Can you try regular cream or maybe unsweetened hazelnut milk instead? I know the sugar is what makes it taste good, but it’s disrupting your blood sugar during the day which makes it hard to avoid cookies and crackers.
- It’s okay to eat sunbutter with gluten-free cookies – the fats in the sunbutter will slow down the absorption of sugar from the cookie.
- Aim for 3 Tbsp. coconut oil daily (1 in your shake, 1 in your tea, and 1 in cooking). Try tea with coconut oil in the afternoons.
- Try a “dessert” shake with protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, banana, nut butter, and berries
- Try freezing treats (seedy crunch bars) so you avoid eating them all at once.
- After drinking water in the morning, try a morning tonic of:
- Hot water
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Add Kombucha tea to smoothies (Synergy brand)
Women’s Surf Camp! Dream about a Surf Sol Sister vacation:
Protein powder (vanilla flavor). Tastes great!
Magnesium Calm powder at the store to make tea:
Drew’s Turkey Burger in a Bowl (I make this recipe every single week)
Drew’s favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe:
Drew’s (and my) favorite nut/seed/peanut butter bars:
Egg muffin breakfast recipe:
Squash (zucchini) pancake recipe:
Add Kombucha tea to smoothies (Synergy brand)
For Elimination, Squatty Potty: