Decadently "De-Lite-ful" Chocolate Strawberry Pie
Completely vegan and gluten free, this is light enough for frequent enjoyment, yet packs a punch of flavor and richness. It is easy to double the recipe for a thicker pie using the same size pie plate. Feel free to experiment with different combinations. Substitute whole fate coconut milk for all or some of the almond milk, switch nectarines or peaches in for the berries, or try cherries and mint...the sky's the limit!
¾ cup unsweetened organic almond milk
1 ¼ teaspoons agar agar flakes
⅔ ounce dark chocolate (I used 2 squares of righteously raw synergy spice chocolate)
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1 pound container organic strawberries
¼ cup almonds, chopped
- Measure almond milk and agar flakes into small saucepan. Stir to combine. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile grate chocolate or finely chop. I love using a mandolin for this part. Set aside.
- After 10 minutes, bring almond milk and agar to low simmer over medium low heat. Stir occasionally. Simmer about 7 mins or until agar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Add grated chocolate and vanilla extract. At this point feel free to add other herbs or spices as desired. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a 9 inch or smaller glass pie plate. Chill in fridge for 1.5-2hr to allow to set.
- Once “pie” has set, slice strawberries into rounds and decorate top of pie. Sprinkle almonds over the top of the strawberries. Bon Appetit!