Bean Salads, to me, have always screamed summer with their simple flavors, light taste, and easy preparation. Here, I give a twist to the typical bean salad with the addition of chard, yellow onion, and mushrooms. By adding these to your bean salad, you increase the nutrient content, add color, and give a bit of variety to the texture. Chard is a great green for your summer dishes, adding a bit of flavor and tons of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins K and A, and magnesium.
Bean Salad with Chard and Mushrooms
An original recipe by Georgianna Dolan-Reilly
1 bundle swiss or rainbow chard, stripped from stems and chopped into 1-2 inch strips
8 ounces mini or button mushrooms, thinly sliced (Baby Bella, White, or Crimini)
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 15-ounce can black beans
1 15-ounce can kidney beans
4 tablespoons red wine vinaigrette
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon of each)
- Wash and dry the chard and mushrooms. Prepare chard, mushrooms, and onion as directed above.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil and half (2 tablespoons) of the red wine vinaigrette over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, empty beans into a colander. Wash, drain and dry, then set aside in a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the sauté pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes, tossing often.
- Next, add the chard and the remaining red wine vinaigrette. Toss together until chard is wilted, approximately another 5 minutes.
- Add mixture to beans. Toss until well mixed.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to mixture and toss.
- For best results, cool mixture before serving.
Serves 6-8 as a side dish.