When I found out, early on in my gluten free days, that the tabouli recipe I'd been making for years wasn't gluten free, I wept. Big crocodile tears. No more bulghur for this gluten free diva. And then I discovered quinoa, and seismic changes were made in my gluten free world. I'm talking LOVE. And for more than one reason.
- It's a no-brainer. Sub quinoa for bulghur and you have Quinoa Tabouli.
- On a flexibility scale, quinoa gets a 10 when you use it to make Quinoa Tabouli. You can dress it up or down, adding different vegetables to the final mix, depending on what you have in the fridge. Though don't think that you can use that gnarly looking scallion you found hiding under a bag of carrots! Scallions are key and they've gotta be fresh and perky.
- Quinoa is gluten free. Bingo. Say no more. And WAY full of protein.
- Quinoa comes in three different colors. Red. Black. Regular ol' beige. Can you even believe it?
- Quinoa is ridiculously easy and quick to cook. You can microwave it, cook it on the stovetop, or throw it into a rice cooker (don't blink, it cooks really fast...not kidding).
- When the temperature doesn't climb much out of the single digits and I need to wrack my brain to remember what summer feels like, Quinoa Tabouli comes to the rescue. Nothing brings me back to the dog days of our New England summers more quickly than this gluten free gift to my repertoire of summer recipes.
Quinoa Tabouli Print-Me
An original recipe by Ellen Allard of Gluten Free Diva
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained*
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup quartered grape tomatoes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
*Don't skip this step. Quinoa has a bitter coating call saponins which can be rinsed off.
- Cook the quinoa per the directions on the package. Chill thoroughly.
- Add scallions, parsley, mint, and tomatoes to the quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic until blended. Add to quinoa and veggies, and mix until thoroughly combined. Chill before serving.