Yesterday was my friend Hannah's birthday. What better opportunity to bake a cake for the 2nd Annual Gluten-Free Birthday Cake Challenge? I knew I wanted to make a carrot cake, and as it turned out, that is one of her favorite types of cake! Me too... Absolutely love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting! But for this cake, I went a different route with the frosting, hence the name: Sunset Carrot Cake. This is a double layer caramel cream filled carrot cake topped with coconut. Doesn't the idea of that just make you salivate?
And check out that sunset! Beautiful, right? While everyone ate cake, I snapped pics over the water.
Now let's talk giveaways! Today's cake comes to you courtesy of Wholesome Sweeteners. I contacted them to be a part of this challenge because I love their products. They have organic, non-GMO, and fair trade certified sweeteners, and I feel confident in purchasing their brand. They sent me some of their new coconut palm sugar to try out and that's what I used for this cake. I love the caramel undertones that coconut palm sugar has, and it gave this cake and the caramel cream glaze a beautiful dark color. I was also happy that the Wholesome Sweeteners palm sugar didn't clump at all, and was not as coarse as some brands I've tried.
Today's Giveaway: A Wholesome Sweeteners Gift Bag sent straight to your door!
How to enter:
- Peruse the Wholesome Sweeteners website, then leave a comment below telling me which of their products you would most like and what kind of dessert you would make with it.
- Follow Wholesome Sweeteners on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Leave a separate comment for each.
- Follow The Daily Dietribe on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest if you don't already. Leave a separate comment for each.
- If you already follow me, go ahead and link to this post on your Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. Leave a separate comment for each.
- For 5 entries: Make a cake/cupcake/pie for the 2nd Annual Gluten-Free Birthday Cake Challenge that uses coconut palm sugar. Use the Mr. Linky on my challenge post to link up, then come back and let me know your cake uses the featured ingredient.
Sunset Carrot Cake (Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Vegan)
2 cups brown rice flour (260 grams)
2/3 cup tapioca starch (80 grams)
1 cup Wholesome Sweeteners coconut palm sugar (154 grams)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons whole psyllium husks
2 cups grated carrot, lightly packed
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil or grease two 9-inch round cake pans (I used springform pans for easy release).
- In a large bowl, stir together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, palm sugar, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the milk, oil, psyllium husks, carrot, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix completely. Pour half into each pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Top with shredded coconut if desired.
Caramel Cream Frosting: I have two suggestions here, and they taste pretty similar. With either option, I suggest adding 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon for a little extra spice.
- Caramel dipping sauce (contains cashews)
- Use this recipe for strawberry cream cheese, but replace the pureed strawberries with pureed apples. Use coconut palm sugar for the sugar called for. That's what I did in the cake pictured above.
Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Irish Coffee Brownies
Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars
Remember, the giveaway ends on June 27th, so you have all month to come up with a birthday dessert featuring coconut palm sugar! Check back throughout the month for 3 more giveaways, and at least two more cake recipes!