Fall ushers in a gust of cold, a dash of cozy, and a sprinkling of spice. This Fall Harvest Lentil Soup incorporates all three. Banish the cold with a good book and a warm fire while sipping on this sweetly spiced soup.
And while you're at it, scroll down past the recipe for today's giveaway!
Fall Harvest Lentil Soup (Print-Friendly Option)
The sweet potatoes in this recipe can be replaced with any winter squash (butternut, delicata, etc.). Just peel the squash and dice it. Lentils can also be substituted with any other bean that’s already been cooked. Because this makes 8 hearty servings, it’s great for dinner parties, or can be frozen and reheated.
1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced (3/4 cup)
1 carrot, diced (1 cup)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 small jalapeño, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 large red pepper, diced (1 ½ cups)
1 large sweet potato, diced (2 cups)
¾ teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups water or vegetable broth
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
½ cup dry lentils, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, garlic, oregano and basil. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the pepper and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, add tomatoes and lentils, then turn heat down to a simmer. Cook, covered, about 35 minutes (until lentils are cooked through). Serve hot.
Update: This giveaway is now closed.
Today's giveaway is a mish mash of gluten-free samplings I picked up at the Gluten & Allergen-Free Expo in Dallas earlier this month. Not one to ever turn down anything free, I gave some of the goodies to my friends and family, but the rest I saved for you! I'll send a Halloween goodie bag of these treats to one winner (sorry, continental U.S. only!), plus a batch of my gluten-free, vegan, stevia-sweetened cinnamon toast crunch cookies (recipe to be posted in December). Contest open until November 3rd.
- Leave a comment! That's all. :)
- For a second entry, post about it on your blog.
- For a third entry, post about it on Facebook.
- For a fourth entry, tweat it.