In the meantime, I figure you're probably more interested in this recipe than my ramblings anyway. So until I find the words to explain all the thoughts racing around in my brain (thoughts which, thanks to Diane Eblin, are now racing around on broomsticks like Harry Potter characters in a Quidditch game), I'll simply leave you with this Summer Fruit and Herb Salad with Cucumbers. It is a) delicious, b) full of antioxidants, and c) delicious. Yes, I know I said that twice. Writer's block, remember?
Summer Fruit and Herb Salad with Cucumbers
1/2 cup blueberries
3 ripe plums, cut into thin slices
1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/2 large cucumber, diced
1 navel orange
1 green onion
1 cup packed fresh herbs (basil, cilantro, mint, parsley)
1 inch chunk of ginger
5 - 10 drops liquid stevia or 1 - 2 teaspoons honey
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
freshly grated black pepper to taste
- Start with a large salad bowl. Put the blueberries, plums, strawberries, and cucumbers in the bowl.
- Cut the orange in half. Section one half and place the pieces in the bowl. Juice the other half over the bowl.
- Thinly slice the green part of the green onion and add that to the bowl. (Save the rest for another recipe).
- Juice half a lime over the bowl.
- Mince or chiffonade 1 cup of packed fresh herbs. I like to do a mix of parsley, cilantro, mint, and basil, but you can use whichever of these you have on hand. Add to the salad.
- Finally, zest the chunk of ginger, and add that, along with the stevia (or honey), salt, and black pepper to the salad. Toss and let sit for 15 minutes to marinate.
This post is linked to Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten-Free at The Whole Gang. Not surprisingly (at least not if you know Diane), the theme is Harry Potter related.