Happy Sunday! Today, I'm sharing a recipe for sweet potato biscuits over at Glugle Gluten Free. I made this recipe months ago, but Tia was patient enough to wait until my finals were over so I could send it to her. I hope you stop by and check it out, and give Tia some blog love for me!
Update 4/23/12: A reader brought it to my attention that the link no longer works, so I'm posting the recipe here. However, it's been so long since I've made these and my baking has improved so much since then that I'm not sure I would vouch for them anymore! I would make them again to test them, but I can no longer eat eggs... But this also tells me that I need to make an updated egg- and gum-free sweet potato biscuit recipe! Will get to work on that soon! xoxo Iris
Sweet Potato Biscuits
1 cup millet flour (or sorghum)
1 cup potato starch
1/2 cup sweet white rice flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2-1 cup spectrum organic palm shortening or butter (the more you use, the flakier they will be)
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
1/4 cup pureed sweet potato
2 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg yolk, 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, sea salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the shortening, soy milk, sweet potato, honey, vanilla extract, and egg yolk. Pour into the dry mix and beat until smooth.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until well combined.
- Lightly flour a large surface and roll the dough out. Cut out biscuits and bake for 10-12 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.