On a warm day like today, I bet you're probably not thinking about soup. Strangely enough, though, hot days make me crave hot food. I'm an ice cream in the winter, soup in the summer kind of gal. Although, as you might have noticed, there's really no time I don't eat soup. The inspiration behind this dish though was the lovely weather. I wanted to keep it light and simple to go with the fresh, breezy day we had. I had roasted a chicken a few nights ago, so I used my chicken broth from that, which I think gives the soup a richer flavor than store bought chicken broth. However, I buy chicken broth all the time, and if there's a brand you particularly like (or a vegetarian broth), that would work just as well. This soup can also be dairy free if you want to use a non-dairy alternative for the milk. I've been using Trader Joe's new Organic Whole Grain Drink but I think unsweetened almond milk would be delicious in this soup. And as for the vegetables, onions, carrots, and celery are a no-brainer for soup, but you can use whatever you have on hand. I think that's one of the reasons I like cooking it so much. Unlike my trials and tribulations with gluten free and sugar free baking, it's really hard to go wrong with soup. A dash of this, a spot of that, throw in whatever vegetables you have, add some random spices, and there you go. Dinner's ready!
Spring Vegetable Soup
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk (or non-dairy alternative)
1/2 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
2 handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium-large saucepan. Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and saute 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, uncovered, another 2-3 minutes.
- Puree half of soup in the blender and then return to pot. Stir in 1 cup milk and reheat. Add spices and heat gently approximately 5 more minutes.