After a sad couple of weeks without bananas, I added them back into my diet this week. I've also really missed baking, so I decided to make a gluten-free banana muffin. My limitations were that it had to be dairy free and free of any added sugars. So what to use? Bananas and sweet potatoes! The perfect combination of natural sweeteners. For inspiration, I went straight to The Gluten Free Goddess, and found a banana spice cake recipe that I could play around with. The result is a muffin so moist you would never guess it was made without added sugars. These are great for breakfast, although I'll admit I had them for dessert also.
Sunshine Banana Muffins
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sweet white sorghum flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 large egg
1/8 cup olive oil
1 baked medium sweet potato
2 medium ripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin tins. This recipe only makes 6 muffins, so double it if you want more.
- Process the sunflower seeds in a food processor, just until they start to mix. They'll add some crunch to your muffins if you don't process them too much.
- Put the rest of the dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt) in a mixing bowl, and whisk together. Whisk in the sunflower seeds.
- Put the egg, olive oil, sweet potatoes, and bananas in the food processor (no need to wash it in between) and beat until thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes. Pour in the dry mixture and process until completely mixed.
- Drop batter into muffin tins with a large spoon.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until the outside just begins to brown and a knife inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Simply Hot Recipes.
And speaking of sunshine, Julie at Gluten-Free Vegan Family awarded me with this sunshine award! Thanks, Julie! This came at the perfect time because my exams are starting up this week, and I need some positive energy to get me through! Now I get to pass on the sunny vibes to twelve other bloggers who inspire me. First, I'm bouncing this right back to Julie because her supportive comments have always made me smile. And:
2. The Gluten Free Homemaker
3. Gluten Free Gidget
4. Simply...Gluten Free
5. Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
6. Farty Girl
7. Chocolate Covered Katie
8. There Can Be Only Juan
9. Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog
10. Living Free11. She Let Them Eat Cake12. Healthy Green Kitchen
I highly recommend you check out these blogs for some wonderful recipes and entertaining commentary!