Either way, I ended up with an upset stomach all day. I didn't even eat lunch (which is not like me at all) and ended up just having a green smoothie in the afternoon. By dinner time, my appetite was beginning to come back, but I wanted something light and nourishing to soothe my stomach. This Sweet Potato Coconut Soup was something I'd been creating in my head since I saw Linda's Creamy Vegetable Soup last week. It's a sweet soup, but a dash of hot sauce counters the flavor and gives it a tangy edge.
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 carrot, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 garlic clove, diced
3 small sweet potatoes, baked and cut in bite sized chunks (I buy organic, which are pretty small, but it's about 1 1/2 regular sized sweet potatoes)
1/2 in. slice ginger, grated
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
handful of pea shoots to garnish
red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Spray a soup pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, add the carrots, celery, and garlic, and saute about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ginger into the soup. Immediately pour the chicken broth in so the ginger doesn't burn. Add the sweet potatoes and stir once.
- Raise the heat and allow the soup to come to a boil. Once it begins to boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stir. Simmer another 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and pour into individual bowls. *Garnish each bowl with chopped pea shoots and red pepper flakes. Add a dash of hot sauce, or more if you like it hot.
This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Mondays
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
Tuesdays At The Table